It was built partly on the location of the former wooden orangery founded in 1717. In 1842, prince Alois II. Josef decided to demolish the orangery and ordered his architect Jiří Wingelmüller to build a new, modern structure that would use steel, cast iron and glass as main materials (these material were rather unusual at the time of the construction). An English engineer P. H. Desvignes probably contributed to this work. The construction cost almost 160 thousand Florins. The self-supporting structure of the greenhouse is secured against overload and the combined iron – cast-iron columns are fitted with decorative cast-iron sheaths.